Stamford, Connecticut – A Bibliography – A

Bibliography Items:
A | B | C | D | E | F | G | HI | J | K | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

Index: 0-9 | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | HI | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | XYZ
Refers to the index of names and subjects covered by individual bibliography items.

Abbreviations
Locations

  1. Frederick Tallmadge Towne : a memorial, 1872-1906. New York, New York: Privately printed; 1906; 115 pp., fascism., port., 24 cm. 
Notes: Contents: Frederick T. Towne, by his father.– School days, by H. U. King.– College life, by W. Bancroft.– In youth and manhood, by H. N. Covell.– In the works, by S. Merritt.– As an employer, by W. C. Allen.– In the N. F. Ass’n, by O. P. Letchworth.– In the social relations, by J. R. Barbour.– In church relations, by C. M. Addison.– In abounding life, by C. L. Reid.
Title page reads: “FREDERICK / TALLMADGE / TOWNE / A MEMORIAL / 1872: 1906 /       / NEW YORK: PRIVATELY PRINTED / M CM VI [1906].”
Imprint on reverse of title page reads “THE MATTHEWS-NORTHRUP / WORKS / BUFFALO CLEVELAND AND NEW YORK / [printers’ mark of The Matthews-Northrop Works].”
Location: Ct, CtHi, CtMW, CtS, CtSHi, CtSoP, CtY, DLC, ICU, InLP, MH-BA, MiD, MsHaU, NBPu, NcD, NIC, NN, OKentU, PU.
Abstract: “L’ENVOI
When a life of exceptional activity and usefulness has closed, it is fitting that some record of it should be made, that its helpful influence may be broadened and perpetuated. When, in addition, that life has created profound attachments, and has left a deep and lasting impress, it is natural that those who came within its scope should desire to testify to these facts, and to express their gratitude for its blessing. 

In this spirit this memorial volume has been compiled by some of those who knew and loved Frederick Tallmadge Towne.
May, 1906.”   p. (1).
  2. A. S. Barnes & Co. “Extracts from the original Order Book of Colonel David Waterbury of Stamford, Connecticut.” Magazine of American History With Notes and Queries. 1884 Dec; Vol. 12 (No. 6) pp. 555-557; ISSN: 0361-6185.
Notes: Published by A. S. Barnes & Co., New York, New York.
See: December 1884, Vol. 12 (No. 6), pp. 555-557. / December 1885, Vol. 14 (No. 4), pp. 410-411.
Location: Ct, CtB, CtHT, CtMW, CtMy, CtNbC, CtNh, CtNhH, CtNlC, CtSoP, CtWillE, CtY, DLC, InU, MH.
Abstract: “ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS

[The following extracts are from the original Order Book of Colonel David Waterbury of Stamford, Connecticut, in the early part of the Revolution.]
…………………………………………………………………………..
 Head Quarters N. York 11th Febry 1776
 Parole Scott
Countersign Lewis

   The General having observ’d great Negligence In the drumers not doing their duty, Orders For the future that drum Majors of Lord Stirling’s And Col. Waterbury’s Regiments (Including his own Guard and the Independant Companies) shall do Duty in Rotation – the whole Corps of drums & fifers To Parade every morning at 9 O’Clock before the General’s Quarters for Troop beat & the same at 5 o’Clock In the afternoon for Retreat beat. – The Reveille Is to be beat every morning at day-break at both Barracks, and the Taptoo from the Barracks. Lord Stirling’s drums at the South Part & Col. Waterbury’s at the North part of the City – any Drummer or fifer Neglecting his duty to be Reported by the Drum Major and will be Severely Punished, – A Subaltern & twenty four to march from the upper Barracks to the post gaurd – the gaurd of the upper to be Eas’d – forty of said Guard to Return to thier Quarters – thirty Six being sufficient for this Nights duty – Isaac Sears, Deputy Adjutant General.”     Magazine of American history with notes and queries, p. 555.
  3. Abraham, Judith F. First Baptist Church to Friends Meeting House: the evolution of a site. New Haven, Connecticut: Yale University; 1988; 51 leaves, typescript, illus., maps, bibliography, 28 cm. 
Notes: Historical archaeology paper.       
Location: CtSHi.
A report on historical aspects of the Friends Meeting House site, located in the Bangall District of Stamford, corner of Roxbury and Westover Roads.
  4. Abrahamson, Robert Henry. “Gastric malignancy: A comparative study of the etiology, diagnosis, and therapy of 707 cases.” Connecticut State Medical Journal. 1953 Aug; Vol. 17 (No. 8) pp. 658-663; ISSN: 0096-0179.
Notes: Published by: Connecticut State Medical Society, New Haven, Connecticut.       Robert Henry Abrahamson, M.D., C.M., was an Attending Surgeon, Stamford Hospital. 
Location: Ct, CtNbC, CtU, CtY, DLC, MH.         Parks (No. 8555).
Abstract: “The statistics presented in this study deal with the results during the past decade (through 1950) at the Stamford Hospital, Stamford, Connecticut. This is a general hospital in a city which draws from approximately 100,000 people, partly suburban and rural. The purpose of this investigation is to determine the diagnostic and therapeutic results of gastric malignancy in communities of this size (which presents a more varied cross section of the population) and to discuss the subject in general. The conclusions are based on a comparative analysis of both the Bellevue Hospital and Stamford Hospital series (a total of 707 cases).       ………………………

From the Stamford Hospital Tumor Clinic, Stamford, Connecticut. Portions of this material were presented at the International Surgical Congress, Vienna, Austria, May 1952.”       Robert Henry Abrahamson, p. 658.     (Copyright 1953 by the Connecticut State Medical Society. Reproduced with permission).
  5. Aceti, Diana M. “Passage to India – In a Connecticut                                                                            retail center, theatrical flair enhances an authentic atmosphere.” Restaurant and Hotel Design. 1985 Jan-Feb; Vol. 7 (No. 1) pp. 70-73; ISSN: 0191-345X     Other ISSN for latter issues: 0745-4929.
Notes: Published by Restaurant Business, Inc., New York, New York.
Location: AzFU, AzTeS, CLobS, CLU, CoDR, CoFS, CtSHi, CU, DeU, DHU, DLC, FTS, FU, IaAS, ICarbS, IMacoW, InLP, IU, KWiU, KMK, LU, MiDW, MiU, MnSU, MnU, MoU, MsHaU, OCl, ODa, OKentU, OkS, Or, OrP, OrU, PPi, Pst, RP, ScU, TxDa, TxDN, TxHU, TxLT, ViBlbV.     White (p. 2).
Description of Shamiana [‘festive tent’], an Indian restaurant, located on the seventh floor of the Stamford Town Center shopping mall. It was designed by Gordon Micunis and Jay Kobrin of Gordon Micunis Designs, Inc., Stamford.
  6. Acme Publishing and Engraving Company. Acme Publishing and Engraving Company. Four cities and towns of Connecticut, illustrated : historical, biographical and commercial : a record of the development of these cities and towns : Their progress in commerce, manufacturers, revenue and municipal life, with sketches of their leading official, business and professional men. New York, New York: Acme Publishing and Engraving Company; 1890; 118, (2) pp., illus., ports., 32 cm. 
Notes: Title page reads: “[printers’ ornaments] / FOUR CITIES AND TOWNS / OF / CONNECTICUT. / ILLUSTRATED / – / HISTORICAL, BIOGRAPHICAL AND COMMERCIAL. / – / A RECORD OF THE DEVELOPMENT OF THESE CITIES AND TOWNS; THEIR PROGRESS / IN COMMERCE, MANUFACTURERS, REVENUE AND MUNICIPAL LIFE; / WITH SKETCHES OF THEIR LEADING OFFICIAL, / BUSINESS AND PROFESSIONAL MEN. /   / = /   / NEW YORK; / ACME PUBLISHING AND ENGRAVING CO. / 1890. / [printers’ ornaments].”           Includes table of contents following p. 118. 
For references to Stamford, Connecticut, see: pp. 87-102. 
Location: CL, Ct, CtB, CtBhl, CtDab, CtNowa, CtS, CtSHi, MChB, N.       Parks (No. 1902).
Abstract: “The aim and object of this work is to present in attractive form the salient features of certain communities and to place on record the factors and men whose force and characteristics have a material bearing upon both the present and future conditions of these communities. A succinct resume of the past history of these places is also added to give the work a wider scope and value.” Acme Publishing and Engraving Company, p. 3.
  7. Advocate, The. Stamford – 350. Stamford, Connecticut: The Advocate; 1991 Jun 30; 144 pp., paper covers, illus. color & b/w., ports., advts., 33 cm. 
Notes: Project director: Stacy Schneider / Designer: Deena Murphy / Copy editor: Melanie Webb               
Location: CtHamd, CtNowa, CtS, CtSHi, CtSU.
Abstract: “In 1641, Stamford was founded when 29 families arrived at the Rippowam plantation after leaving Wethersfield because of a religious dispute. In 1866, Samuel and Henry Ferguson were lost at sea for 43 days off the Hawaiian Islands. In 1915, Edith Waters taught in a one-room schoolhouse, which has since been demolished to make way for Laurel Reservoir. These are just a sampling of the people, places and events that have given Stamford its rich past. This special section, commemorating the city’s 350th birthday, is meant to capture just that. Of course, not every organization or person that makes up Stamford’s past and present could be mentioned. But the section gives readers an overview of how Stamford came to be the community it is today.” Editor’s Note, p. 6.   Supplement of The Advocate, Sunday, June 30, 1991.   (Copyright 1991 by The Advocate. Reproduced with permission.)
  8. Advocate, The & Ferguson Library, The. Stamford : 350 Years, 1641-1991. (Stamford, Connecticut): The Advocate and The Ferguson Library; 1991; xxiv, 151 pp., illus. color & b/w., ports., table of contents, bibliography, map, d.w., 32 cm. (Robert Atwan, Kenneth H. Brief, Barry Hoffman). ISBN: 0681929987.
Notes: Both front and back endpapers have color photographs of the Old Town Hall. Color Imprint on reverse of title page reads: Produced by William S. Konecky and Associates. Book design and typography by Studio 31. Manufactured in Hong Kong. 
Location: CL, CtB, CtGre, CtHamd, CtNbC, CtNowa, CtOg, CtS, CtSHi, CtSoP, CtSU, CtWtp, DLC, PLP.                     Parks-Additions (No. 1095).
See: Index for Stamford : 350 Years, 1641-1991, compiled by members of The Ferguson Library staff, The Ferguson Library, Stamford, Connecticut, 1991. Location: CtS, CtSHi.                                                                                             Table of Contents lists: “Stamford … A Reminiscence” by William F. Buckley, Jr. / “A Popular History Of Stamford” by Don Russell and Mike Barlow / “Stamford: A Photographic Essay” by William Hubbell / “The Story Of The Advocate” by Don Russell / “The Ferguson Library: 110 Years Young and Still Growing” by Ernest A. DiMattia, Jr. / “How This Book Came About” by Barry Hoffman / “A Selected Bibliography”                                                                                                       Published in observance of the 350th anniversary of the founding of Stamford.
  9. Agassiz Association. “Appliances for nature work and pleasure.” Guide To Nature. 1912; Vol. 5 (No. 7) pp. viii-xix.
Notes: Published by The Agassiz Association, Sound Beach, Connecticut.     Includes interior photographs of the Lockwood & Palmer hardware store.
Location: Ct, CtHT, CtS, CtSHi, CtY, DLC.
Abstract: “So if you want to study or to revel in the beauties of plants or animals, by whatever name you may call it, if it is only your garden or your field or your conservatory, or the equipment of your suburban home, then the Mecca of all your interests is the well-equipped store that deals in the various appliances that you will need. Of that kind in this vicinity I know of none more extensive or more attractive and efficient than that of Lockwood & Palmer, Stamford, Connecticut.” Guide To Nature, p. ix.
  10. — “Beautiful bank building.” Guide To Nature. 1914 Feb; Vol. 6 (No. 10) pp. 257-258.
Notes: Published by The Agassiz Association, Sound Beach, Connecticut.   Includes a photograph of the building’s front facade.
Location: Ct, CtHT, CtNbC, CtS, CtSHi, CtY, DLC.
Abstract: “We take pleasure in showing herewith the front of the beautiful building of the Stamford Trust Company, erected on Main Street. This doubtless represents the last word in this special branch of architecture, as every known feature has been employed to produce a modern Banking Room.

The facade, designed in the style of the Italian Renaissance, has a frontage of forty-six feet, and is entirely of white marble, finishing at the roof line with a richly ornamented cornice and balustrade. A pair of massive bronze doors, elaborately decorated, open into a vestibule, also entirely of white marble with mosaic pavement, which in turn leads to a spacious lobby of marble and stone. To the right and left of this lobby are the waiting rooms for men and women with a staircase of marble and ornamental iron leading up to a mezzanine, and retiring room and lavatory for women. The mezzanine story contains the meeting room for the Board of Directors. 

Passing through the vestibule and lobby, one enters the main Banking Room, forty-one by sixty-two feet, with a twenty-five foot ceiling. The walls of this room are wainscoted with grey Knoxville marble to a height of four feet, and the remaining wall surface is of Caen stone. The severity of the side walls is relieved by ornamental pilasters and panels of Caen stone and the end walls are broken by arched openings with French casement sash above and ornamental iron balustrades at the mezzanine level; and enriched cornice finishes at the line of the ceiling, which is heavily paneled, with a large ceiling light in the center.”   Guide To Nature, pp. 257-258.
  11. — “Clearing house for nature’s food supplies.” Guide To Nature. 1913 May; Vol. 6 (No. 1) pp. x-iv.
Notes: Published by The Agassiz Association, Sound Beach, Connecticut. Includes interior photographs.
Location: Ct, CtHT, CtNbC, CtS, CtSHi, CtY, DLC.
Abstract: “The business was brought to its present high standard by the well-known efficiency and thorough knowledge of the proper method of obtaining and distributing nature supplies, and by the genial personality of Mr. E. B. Hoit, who, for several decades has been as agreeable as any human can be. In recent years he has been efficiently aided by Mr. A. B. Chichester and Mr. Walter W. Brush, who now chiefly carry the responsibility and the work of managing the business. Mr. Hoit has well earned the privilege of devoting less time to this special pursuit, while he devotes more time from a limited amount of leisure, in the care of other commercial interests.” Guide To Nature, p. xiv.
  12. — “Completing fifty years in business. – The remarkable half century success of Mr. C. O. Miller as evinced in the astonishing development and present prominence of the Miller store.” Guide To Nature. 1917 Nov; Vol. 10 (No. 6) pp. 162-171.
Notes: Published by The Agassiz Association, Sound Beach, Connecticut. Includes interior photographs.
Location: Ct, CtHT, CtNbC, CtS, CtSHi, CtY, DLC.
Abstract: “In September, 1868, C. O. Miller at the age of twenty years began business for himself on Main Street in a small store, opposite the Town Hall. He removed in September, 1870, to a new and larger stand on Washington Place, where he continued until the erection of the fine building on Atlantic Square, in 1882, now occupied by The C. O. Miller Company. His increasing business demanding more room, it was necessary to enlarge the building several times prior to the incorporation of the company. The original space was thirty-five by one hundred and twenty feet with the first floor and basement in use. This later was broadened and extended at the rear and the entire building occupied. In February, 1907, Mr. Miller incorporated the business under the name of The C. O. Miller Company, C. O. Miller, President, and C. O. Miller, Jr., Treasurer, who together with F. E. DeCamp and O. H. Couch form the Board of Directors.”   Guide To Nature, p. 164.
  13. — “Diamond Disc Shop to move.” Guide To Nature. 1917 Apr; Vol. 9 (No. 11) p. vii.
Notes: Published by The Agassiz Association, Sound Beach, Connecticut.
Location: Ct, CtHT, CtNbC, CtS, CtSHi, CtY, DLC, MH.
Abstract: “Amburt A. Kellogg, a Stamford boy, graduate of the S. H. S. class of 1915, and son of A. S. Kellogg whose long-established and popular news and notion store has extended itself from the basement to the roof of the building, corner of Luther and Atlantic Streets, in recent years has been for some time connected with “The Diamond Disc Shop” at 372 Atlantic Street. Something of a musical connoisseur himself, the conviction that “the diamond disc” is the great Edison’s last word in exactly, and perfectly reproducing the tones of voice or instrument by mechanical means, made a strong appeal to him. He has arranged to buy out the business of the present “shop” and transfer it to new quarters on the first of April. A liberal section of the second floor in the Atlantic and Luther Street building will be devoted to the purpose.”   Guide To Nature, p. vii.
  14. — “Dr. Bigelow, our naturalist. – A visit to the laboratory on Grove St. – Remarkable work done under restricted conditions – Various forms of life under investigation – The Agassiz Association should give its president a larger experimenting field.” Guide To Nature. 1908 Sep; Vol. 1 (No. 6) pp. 225-227.
Notes: “From The Stamford Bulletin, Stamford, Conn.” Published by The Agassiz Association, Stamford, Connecticut.
Location: Ct, CtHT, CtS, CtSHi, CtY, DLC.
Abstract: “It can be safely and sanely stated that one of the most remarkable nooks in our city to-day is to be found on (113) Grove Street, the home of our well-known townsman, Dr. Edward F. Bigelow, whose reputation as a nature student, nature lecturer and interpreter of nature has gone far and wide. It is by no means strange that many people visit the place, and examine with deep interest the work that is done under conditions so contracted and confined. This, however, is explained by coming in contact with the man, the good genius of the place, one might almost style him wizard, in contemplating what he has evolved from his congested surroundings.” Guide To Nature, p. 225.
  15. — “Epoch making age of haying.” Guide To Nature. 1914 Sep; Vol. 7 (No. 4) pp. 135-141.
Notes: Published by The Agassiz Association, Sound Beach, Connecticut. Includes photographs.
Location: Ct, CtHT, CtS, CtSHi, CtY, DLC.
Abstract: “Footnote: The illustrations were taken at the Town Farm because it is only there that one can find the type of veteran so familiar in the hayfield of fifty years ago. Haying was then an event. It was a cooperative bee to which came all the old and young, chiefly the old. Those that worked at no other time worked in haying time. Nowadays all this is changed. The picturesque ness is absent. A hayfield with hay tenders and loading machines lacks the interest and the savor of the hayfield as it was fifty years ago. But in the hayfield at the Town Farm in Stamford, one may find the type of man that gathered around every great farm as a hanger-on. A half dozen such would not do a fair day’s work of one man, yet the farmer felt that he must have a big gang at haying time, he must draft into the service every one able to carry a rake or a fork, even if he did little with it.” Guide To Nature, pp. 140-141.
  16. — “Exponent of efficiency and service – Stamford has lost one of her most prominent and loyal citizens in the death of the Honorable Edwin L. Scofield.” Guide To Nature. 1918 Feb; Vol. 10 (No. 9) pp. 257-258.
Notes: Published by The Agassiz Association, Sound Beach, Connecticut.
Location: Ct, CtHT, CtNbC, CtS, CtSHi, CtY, DLC, MH.
Abstract: “From the address by the Reverend A. G. Walton at the funeral: ‘Mr. Scofield had a deep interest in all social movements and philanthropies. The hospital on the hill, of which we are so justly proud, is there largely through his efforts. It is common knowledge that it was the confidence which Judge Clason had in Mr. Scofield, and his advice, that caused that noble citizen to give generously that the hospital might be built. Through many years Mr. Scofield has closely identified himself with the hospital.’ ” Guide To Nature, p. 258.
  17. — “Furnishing homes near to nature; The undertaking department.” Guide To Nature. 1913 Feb; Vol. 5 (No. 10) pp. ix-x.
Notes: Published by The Agassiz Association, Sound Beach, Connecticut. Includes interior photographs.
Location: Ct, CtHT, CtS, CtSHi, CtY, DLC.
Abstract: “……. the long existent store of Lyman Hoyt’s Son & Company, of Stamford, Connecticut. No longer does Mr. Hoyt or his son preside. Years ago they passed into the unknown, but the work continues, increasing and improving under the skilled management of the brothers, Charles H. and William H. Martin. …….The world praises an efficient teacher whether that teaching is in the school-room or by books. There is praise for the efficient physician or surgeon; there is praise of the highest kind for the one who can inspire to a holy life; but why limit our praises to those who minister to life? Yet while we shower words of praise upon almost everybody who serves the living, we have few for those who serve the dead. There are many in this world who can get along without a lawyer or doctor, teacher or preacher, or even a naturalist, but no one can long postpone the call of the undertaker. Let him come in for his share of commendation. If it is meritorious to provide even a temporary home for a living friend, it is even more praiseworthy to provide a permanent home for that friend when he leaves us. Prominent in service of this kind are the Messrs. Martin. Hundreds have expressed their appreciation with tears and hearty hand grasp in the privacy of stricken homes. Then why not let us put it on record in public print that none the less than those to help us to live well is one who cares for us after what we call living?”   Guide To Nature, pp. ix-x.
  18. — “God’s works.” Guide To Nature. 1908 Sep; Vol. 1 (No. 6) pp. 209-211.
Notes: Published by The Agassiz Association, Stamford, Connecticut.
Location: Ct, CtHT, CtS, CtSHi, CtY, DLC.
Abstract: “In view of these self-evident facts, looked at as they are and not through the heedlessness of custom, isn’t it astounding that the majority of churches take no interest in gardens?

Yet I know one rector to whom this criticism would not apply, and who is setting an example in the study and appreciation of “God’s Works” that may well be imitated by others. I refer to the Reverend Charles Morris Addison, rector of St. John’s Episcopal Church, of Stamford, Connecticut. As a boy he met the great-hearted, thoughtful, religious, studious and prayerful Louis Agassiz. He has been an active worker in several AA [Agassiz Association] chapters. He interests his boys and girls in God’s Works as well as in God’s Words. His sermons are permeated with the beauty, interest and instruction to be derived from the natural world. He believes practically in a garden, and he has successfully conducted in the church grounds a veritable Little Eden for the boys and the girls. His example is worth imitating.”   Guide To Nature, p. 210.
  19. — “Good business opportunity.” Guide To Nature. 1915 Jan; Vol. 7 (No. 8) pp. i-iii.
Notes: Published by The Agassiz Association, Sound Beach, Connecticut. Includes both exterior and interior photographs of the United German Silver Company, located in the Springdale section of Stamford, Connecticut.
Location: Ct, CtHT, CtNbC, CtS, CtSHi, CtY, DLC.
Abstract: “For reasons readily explained and that are not a discredit to the business, the metal producing factory at Springdale in the town of Stamford, Connecticut, became idle last spring, owing in the main to complications in the business management.

The property is now owned on a new basis under the Incorporation, The United German Silver Company. The President is Mr. Homer D. Bronson, of Waterbury, Connecticut, a manufacturer of long experience in piano and metal making. Mr. William T. Finney, a well-known business man of Stamford, is the Treasurer. Mr. James G. MacKay, an expert metal maker, of Stamford, is Secretary and General Manager.

The capital stock is $100,000 divided into two classes— 6% preferred, and common. The plant, built only two years ago, cost $70,000 and is in good condition. At full capacity fifty men are employed, and the daily production is 8,000 pounds of metal, chiefly German silver, brass, bronze and diringold—a non-corrosive metal, a special production of this factory.”   Guide To Nature, pp. ii-iii.
  20. — “How to enjoy Long Island Sound.” Guide To Nature. 1913 Jun; Vol. 6 (No. 2) pp. vii-viii.
Notes: Published by The Agassiz Association, Sound Beach, Connecticut. Includes photograph of the ship “Hattie M. Bird” – Owned by Captain Edward B. Palmer, Stamford, Connecticut.
Location: Ct, CtHT, CtNbC, CtS, CtSHi, CtY, DLC.
Abstract: “We take pleasure in printing herewith a cut of the staunch boat that may be obtained of Captain Edward B. Palmer, of West Waterside, Stamford, Connecticut. He has recently been reappointed harbor master by Governor Baldwin.”   Guide To Nature, p. viii.
…………………………………………………..
”The Stamford Advocate” [no date given] says of him as follows:

”For years he sailed the deep seas, and endured the perils and drudgery that befall a man who, as he did, goes through the various degrees of deep-sea sailing from the forecastle to the cabin.

”There is little about the sea and nothing about sailing or piloting any kind of a vessel, from the little bark up to the steamship that Captain Palmer does not know. He has been a very keen student in that best school of all – Experience, or Hard Knocks, if you will. There is a fund of nautical knowledge and general information and heaps of stories of the sea, thrilling and otherwise, in the storehouse of Captain Palmer’s mind. But every one who meets him does not know it because the captain like many another good sailor is a very modest man, modest in some matters almost to the point of shyness.” Guide To Nature, pp. vii-viii.
  21. — “Judge John Clason is dead.” Guide To Nature. 1917 Nov; Vol. 10 (No. 6) pp. 189-192.
Notes: Published by The Agassiz Association, Sound Beach, Connecticut.   Includes a portrait of Judge John Clason.         
Location: Ct, CtHT, CtNbC, CtS, CtSHi, CtY, DLC.       
Abstract: “In the death, on October 10th, of Judge John Clason in his ninety-third year, The Agassiz Association lost a Sustaining and Honorary Member and a good friend. The local papers have told in detail of his long and honored career. It is enough for us to state that he celebrated the ninety-second anniversary of his birth on September 8th and at that time was enjoying fairly good health although somewhat weakened by an attack of illness the year before. For a man of his years he was astonishingly active. A local paper thus characterizes him: `Rugged in health, abrupt in speech, kind-hearted and loyal, the memory of this old bachelor-farmer who loved and served his native town, will not soon be forgotten.’   He stood high in public esteem and in his earlier life was for several years Judge of Probate and a member of the Legislature. He was the founder of the Stamford Hospital and a contributor to various causes, the whole ambition of his life evidently being to do good for someone, to make someone happy.” Guide To Nature, pp. 189-191.
  22. — “Mr. Scofield’s beautiful memorials.” Guide To Nature. 1914 Jan; Vol. 6 (No. 9) pp. xiii-xiv.
Notes: Published by The Agassiz Association, Sound Beach, Connecticut.   Includes a photograph of Howard L. Scofield standing in front of his monument works and a subsection titled “Styles in monumental art.”
Location: Ct, CtHT, CtNbC, CtS, CtSHi, CtY, DLC.
Abstract: “So skilled and extensive work in monuments and other memorials as that of Howard L. Scofield has attracted our camera toward his office and works at Woodland Place, Stamford, Connecticut.
…………………………………………………………….
The business, a time-honored one, was started in 1879 by his father, John H. Scofield. He continued it until 1908, during the last two years of this time being in partnership with his son Howard L. under the name of J. H. Scofield & Son. At the death of the father in 1908 the son succeeded and has since satisfactorily conducted the business. As will be seen by the illustrations the yard shows many attractive designs and still others are to be found in nearly all the cemeteries along the Connecticut coast. Guide To Nature, p. xiii.
  23. — “Philosophy and photographs in a store: Interest and beauty systematically arranged.” Guide To Nature. 1912 Apr; Vol. 4 (No. 12) pp. 386-394.
Notes: Published by The Agassiz Association, Sound Beach, Connecticut.
Location: Ct, CtHT, CtS, CtSHi, CtY, DLC, MH.
Abstract: “It is this stranger’s principle that has made so successful the great store of the C. O. Miller Company in Stamford. The managers have learned the secret of getting what the people want. They have the goods in quantity and they are so arranged that they are easily accessible to the people. Guide To Nature, p. 386.
  24. — “Stamford.” Guide To Nature. 1910 Jan; Vol. 2 (No. 10) pp. iii-iv.
Notes: Published by The Agassiz Association, Sound Beach, Connecticut.
Location: Ct, CtHT, CtNbC, CtS, CtSHi, CtY, DLC.
Abstract: “Building lots are being rapidly sold in that tract of land situated on Washington Avenue, and known as “The McKenzie property.”

About sixty years this section of land was owned by the late Nathaniel E. Adams, who sold it to Charles O’Hara, a New York merchant. Mr. O’Hara built the large white brick house now standing on a knoll in the center of the lot.

Later the property was sold to Alexander McKenzie of New York. He beautified the grounds by digging out and draining a portion of them, and he also made an artificial lake, erected a boat and summer house. There are many in Stamford today who can remember as far back as thirty years age, the weeping willow which shaded the south bank of the picturesque little lake, and the statuary, as well as the two stately swans which floated on the surface of the lake. A waterwheel turned beneath the boathouse and a fountain played from the center.

Mr. and Mrs. McKenzie passed away. The property fell into other hands. The lake has been filled in. Some half dozen houses have been erected, where the swans floated. The old house still stands there, and is well preserved, but the present owner is thinking of moving it to make room for smaller houses of a more modern style.”     Guide To Nature, p. iii.
  25. — “Stamford’s veteran beekeeper.” Guide To Nature. 1917 Jun; Vol. 10 (No.1) p. 25.
Notes: Published by The Agassiz Association, Sound Beach, Connecticut.     Includes a portrait of Lyman C. Root.
Location: Ct, CtHT, CtNbC, CtS, CtSHi, CtY, DLC.
Abstract: “The “American Bee Journal” has an extended article descriptive of a tour of New England by its editor. We quote as follows from his liberal appreciation of Mr. L. C. Root of Stamford:

”L. C. Root, son-in-law of Moses Quinby, who was a contemporary of Langstroth, is one of the greatest enthusiasts I have ever had the good luck to meet. During his entire life, whatever he has done has been done with zeal and earnestness. He revised the “Mysteries of Beekeeping” of Quinby and the book is called “Quinby’s New Beekeeping.” For years he was one of the largest beekeepers of New York State. For the past twenty-five years, more or less, he has retired from active beekeeping, leaving his apiary in charge of his brother and settled in Stamford, living with his two daughters one of whom is a physician of note [Dr. Stella Quinby Root]. He keeps only a few colonies of bees in the city, in the attic of his barn, where I saw them. But as energetic a man as he could not remain long idle. So, he was entrusted with the duties of Milk Inspector for Stamford. He was the first inspector to prepare a bulletin in which each dairy was separately reported and its sanitary conditions carefully detailed. The result was a host of friends and some enemies, for the unsanitary establishments could not be pleased with a truthful record, while the mothers and housekeepers were thankful for the straightforward information which his bulletins gave.”   Guide To Nature, p. 25.
  26. — “Trying to leaven the whole lump.” Guide To Nature . 1912 Jun; Vol. 5 (No. 2) pp. iv-vi.
Notes: Published by The Agassiz Association, Sound Beach, Connecticut.   Includes a photograph on p. iv titled, “L. C. Root and John C. Uhrlaub with a prosperous colony of bees.”
Location: Ct, CtHT, CtNbC, CtS, CtSHi, CtY, DLC.
In 1895, an epidemic of typhoid fever broke out in Stamford. The source of this disease was traced to unsanitary conditions at the establishment of a milk dealer. At some point after this, Lyman C. Root was appointed Milk Inspector.
Abstract: “Most of the interest in insects, of course, is with our insect enemies, for example, the good work that the Frost and Bartlett Company is doing in trying to prevent insects from devastating trees and various other plants. But we have with us a pioneer in the promoting and furthering of the activities of one delightful form of insect. This is Mr. L. C. Root, of Stamford, Connecticut, with his honeybees. There was a time not many years ago, when Mr. Root was almost alone in the local field for real interest in honeybees. Of course, for decades there have been farmers who have kept a few colonies in old claptrap box-hives, giving them but little more attention than to shake them down to the ground in May, and along in November to put the hive on a hole in the ground with sulfur in it. 

But with Mr. Root’s coming to Fairfield County a new era began. Here is a man who not only loves milk and honey, but the cows and the bees, and he has taught us to give them the care that would naturally be the result of such love. Furthermore, he wanted to inspire everybody with appreciation of milk and honey and of their producers. I am inclined to think that bees are a little nearer to this heart than the cows. He undoubtedly lays more stress upon the product of the cow than on the cows themselves. But with the honeybee it is different. He evidently likes the bees for themselves, regardless of their products. He has been active in interesting many people in honeybees and the editor of this magazine is proud to call himself a convert to bee culture and a pupil of Mr. Root’s in their study. There is hardly a beekeeper in this part of Fairfield County that does not owe something directly or indirectly to Mr. Root.   …………………………………………………………
Mr. Root is also doing good work in popularizing the study of bees throughout the world by means of his book “Quinby’s New Bee-Keeping or The Mysteries of Bee-Keeping Explained.” The late Mrs. Root was Quinby’s daughter, and Mr. Root was in personal touch with him in all his wonderful apicultural accomplishments. In this book is embodied all of Mr. Quinby’s ideas, with careful revision and additions by Mr. Root. The work has been so largely rewritten by Mr. Root, that he might in justice claim to be its author, but with rare modesty, and in a spirit of reverence to the memory of one who devoted his life to the advancement and the popularizing of bee-culture, he preferred to retain the title of “Quinby’s New Bee-Keeping.”     Guide To Nature, pp. v-vi.
  27. — “Turning stone walls into roads.” Guide To Nature. 1914 Aug; Vol. 7 (No. 3) pp. 90-94.
Notes: Published by The Agassiz Association, Sound Beach, Connecticut.     Includes photographs. This article is cited in Springdale Remembered – The History of a Section of Stamford, Connecticut, by Rosemary H. Burns (1982), pp. 95, 201. 
Location: Ct, CtHT, CtS, CtSHi, CtY, DLC.
Abstract: “To go from the city into the wild nature of the suburbs and surrounding country the first essential is a good road. Stamford is solving the problem of making good roads economically by grinding up the stone walls. It may not be known to all residents of Stamford just how extensively and economically this work is being carried on, and certainly it will be of interest to our readers in other places to learn of the successful experiment of turning stone walls into roads.” Guide To Nature, pp. 91-92.
  28. — “Typewriter for out of doors as well as for office.” Guide To Nature. 1913 Aug; Vol. 6 (No. 4) pp. ii-xi.
Notes: Published by The Agassiz Association, Sound Beach, Connecticut. Includes exterior and interior photographs of the Blickensderfer Manufacturing Company, Stamford, Connecticut; images of George C. Blickensderfer, President and of William J. Blickensderfer, Vice-President & Treasurer.
Location: Ct, CtHT, CtNbC, CtS, CtSHi, CtY, DLC.
Abstract: “Any first-class typewriter is good to use out of doors if you have a porter or express man to carry it for you. But there is a typewriter made by The Blickensderfer Manufacturing Company of Stamford, Connecticut, that is not only first-class but is easily portable. It weighs only five pounds and has been designed to meet all requirements in traveling.” Guide To Nature, p. ii.
  29. — “Visit to a skunk farm.” Guide To Nature. 1914 Sep; Vol. 7 (No. 4) pp. 142-144.
Notes: Published by The Agassiz Association, Sound Beach, Connecticut. Included is a photograph captioned: “Mr. June and his grand daughter have delightful times with these charming pets.”
Location: Ct, CtHT, CtNbC, CtS, CtSHi, CtY, DLC.
Abstract: “So I was surprised to find that skunks are associated with prosperity. I had known in my boyhood men who obtained a livelihood by catching skunks and selling their skins, but they were not associated in mind with the type of men described in the magazines.

It was an up-to-date automobile that called for me. Mr. Irving M. June of Riverbank, Stamford, Connecticut, had kindly volunteered to show me his skunk farm. I recalled my early impressions and hesitated. It was a little surprising to be taken to the farm in such a fine automobile.
……………………………………………………………………………
From the commercial point of view I understand that Mr. June has been so encouraged that he will enlarge the yard, extend his facilities and keep more skunks. (He has taken his son into partnership under the firm name of I. M. June & Son.) There undoubtedly is pleasure in doing this, and probably a reasonable amount of remuneration. Such competent naturalists as Ernest Thompson Seton say there is. I understand Mr. Seton had made a liberal profit with his skunk farm. I presume he has fewer skunks than Mr. June, but that the dollars flow in with fair rapidity not from sale of the skunk skins but from his illustrated articles that describe the joys and profits of skunk farming.”   Guide To Nature, pp. 142, 144.
  30. Aiken, Catharine. Poem composed for the Lady Washington tea party, April 20, 1876 : dedicated to the officers and members of the Women’s Centennial Association of Stamford. Stamford, Connecticut: Advocate Steam Printing House; 1876; 8 pp., paper covers, 15 cm. 
Notes: Title page reads: “Poem / Composed for the / Lady Washington Tea Party, / April 20, 1876. / Dedicated to the / Officers and Members of the Wo- / men’s Centennial Association of / Stamford. / By / Catharine Aiken. /   –   / Stamford : / Advocate Steam Printing House. / 1876” 
Location: NHi.       Wegelin (p. 22).       Title is printed on front cover.       Published in the Stamford Advocate, April 21, 1876, p. 2.       Wegelin, p. 22, states : “The authoress was the founder of the Celebrated Catharine Aiken School for Girls, still one of the flourishing institutions of the city.” 
Abstract: “As we are obliged to go to press before the close of the exercises, we shall not be able to present as full and detailed report of the proceedings as their interest and importance deserve, and we are obliged to omit, in this issue, the exceedingly clever and appropriate speech of Hon. Calvin G. Child, which was one of the most conspicuous and acceptable features of the exercises. We are enabled, however, to present the poem written for the occasion, by Miss C. Aiken, whose name, as principal of our most widely-known seminary for young ladies, has been most honorably connected with the cause of education in Stamford for the past twenty-one years. Miss Aiken intended that her poem should be read by one of the gentlemen, and only reluctantly consented to read it herself. It is due to her to say that it was given with fine effect, and it elicited the most enthusiastic applause of the entire evening. This lady contributed, in many ways, to the success of the occasion, and well deserved the splendid triumph won by her genius in writing, and her fine elocutionary ability in reading the poem.   …….

 —1776—
Seventeen hundred and seventy-six, 
Nations and things in a dreadful fix,
For George of Hanover was set in his way,
And George of America would have the last say.
So battles were fought and victories won, 
And Glory did crown our own Washington.
You may read in your books, you may hear in the air,
The lives of our heroes, they’re sung every where.
From the banks of the Hudson, the sea cliffs of Maine, 
The hills of America now echo the strain.
But Stamford, our Stamford, what part had ye then,
When the nation was counting her jewels in men?
Ah! the pages are full, and this is the sort,
Ye well know the tale of one Davenport,
When in the darkness like that of the night
With faith in his God, said ‘Let there be Light.’
Who had ‘hope in all darkness the Light shineth through.’
There were Majors and Colonels ‘mong the Hoyts and Webbs,
And Lockwoods and Waterburys, bravest of Rebs.
And Quintards and Browns, and Scofields and Weeds,
And Bishops, and Skeldings, and Ferris and Leeds.
And Hollys, and Hawleys, and Hubbards, and Knapps,
And Seelys and Ware-rings or War-ings perhaps.
All fought for our homes, or helped in some way,
To leave us this heritage, the pride of our day.
That they lived and they loved, these Worthies of old,
In sunshine and rain, why need we be told?
Human hearts do not differ as all the world knows,
Nor we from our grandsires, save in our clothes.”

…… Stamford Advocate, April 21, 1876, p. 2.
  31. Alexander, Mary Louise. “Stamford public library adapts house trailer.” Library Journal. 1950 Aug; Vol. 75 (No. 14) pp. 1320-1321; ISSN: 0000-0027.
Notes: Published by R. R. Bowker Company, New York, New York.                   
Location: Ct, CtB, CtEhar, CtH, CtHT, CtManc, CtNbC, CtNh, CtNlC, CtSoP, CtWB, CtU, CtY, DLC, MH.           White (p. 2).
The Ferguson Library’s Director, Mary Louise Alexander relates how the library managed to address some of the increased demands for services resulting from the post war rise in Stamford’s population. Amongst the innovations was the establishment of bookmobile service.
  32. Allen, Robert S., ed. The Loyal Americans: the military role of the Loyalist Provincial Corps and their settlement in British North America, 1775-1784. Ottawa, Canada: National Museum of Man: National Museums of Canada; 1983; x, 126 pp., ports, illus., bibliography, paper covers, 23 cm. ISBN: 0660107538.
Notes: Title page reads: ” – / The Loyal Americans / – / The Military Role of the Loyalist Provincial Corps / and Their Settlement in British North America, 1775-1784 /       / Robert S. Allen, General Editor / Bernard Pothier, Coordinator of the Exhibition / Victor Suthren, Exhibition Designer /       / A traveling exhibition of the Canadian War Museum / in collaboration with the New Brunswick Museum /       / National Museum of Man : National Museums of Canada”
Reverse of title page reads: “Catalogue No. NM 92-90/1983E”
Contents: The foundations of loyalism / by Ann Gorman Condon — The Loyalist Provincial Corps / by Robert S. Allen — The evacuations / by Robert S. Allen — Loyalist military settlement in Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island / by Phyllis R. Blakeley — Loyalist military settlement in Québec / by Robert S. Allen — Loyalist military settlement in Upper Canada / by George A. Rawlyk — The loyalist tradition / by Ann Gorman Condon.
Location: ABAU, ArU, AzFU, AzU, CL, CLU, CMalP, CSt, CtY, CU-A, CU-Riv, CU-S, DeU, DGU, DLC, DSI, FTaSU, GEU, GU, ICN, IaU, Infw, InMuB, KU, KWiU, LNT, MB, MeLB, MeU, MH, Mi, MiKW, MiU, MiU-C, MnU, MoU, MU, MWelC, NCaS, NcD, NcRS, NcU, NFQC, N, NHC, NIC, NhU, NmLcU, NmU, NN, OC, OCl, OClU, OKentU, OkU, OrU, OU, PLF, PPT, PU, PV, RPB, RPRC, TxCM, TxHU, UPB, UU, ViFGM, ViW, VtU, WaU. 
For references to Stamford, Connecticut, see:         Item number 160, portrait. “Mr. Secretary Jarvis with his son Samuel Peters Jarvis. Attributed to Matthew William Peters. English. Ca. 1791. Oil on canvas. 104.1 cm x 86.4 cm. Royal Ontario Museum, Toronto. Purchased with the assistance of a Canadian Cultural Property Grant.   No. 981.79.1   
William Jarvis (1756-1817), a native of Stamford, Connecticut joined the Queen’s Rangers in 1777. His son, Samuel Peters Jarvis (1792-1857), is also in the painting, outfitted in a reproduction of his father’s uniform.
……………………………………………………………………………
Item number 161, portrait. “Hannah Jarvis with her daughters, Maria Lavinia and Augusta Honoria. Attributed to Matthew William Peters. English. Ca. 1791. Oil on canvas. 104.1 cm x 86.4 cm. Royal Ontario Museum, Toronto. Purchased with the assistance of a Canadian Cultural Property Grant. No. 981.79.2″
Hannah Peters was the daughter of Reverend Samuel Peters of Hebron, Connecticut. She married William Jarvis in 1785 in London.
  33. Alvord, J. W. (John Watson). Historical address, delivered in the First Congregational Church in Stamford, Ct. : at the celebration of the second centennial anniversary of the first settlement of the town. New York, New York: S. Davenport; 1842; 40 pp., paper covers, 23 cm. 
Notes: Title page reads: “HISTORICAL ADDRESS, / DELIVERED IN THE / FIRST CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH / IN / STAMFORD, Ct, / AT THE / CELEBRATION OF THE SECOND / CENTENNIAL ANNIVERSARY / OF THE / FIRST SETTLEMENT OF THE TOWN /   / BY REV. J. W. ALVORD, / Dec. 22d, 1841. /       / NEW YORK: / PUBLISHED BY S. DAVENPORT, 124 WATER STREET. / JAMES TURNEY, PRINTER, 59 GOLD ST., CORNER OF ANN ST. / – / 1842.”
Location: Ct, CtDabN, CtGre, CtHi, CtNhHi, CtS, CtSHi, CtSoP, CtSu, CtY, DLC, GEU, IC, M, MB, MBAt, MBU, MH, MnHi, MWA, NCH, Nh, NHi, NN, NNC, NNUT, OClWHi, OFH, OO, PHi, PPL, PPULC, WHi.                               Sabin (No. 988).   Flagg (p. 261).     Wegelin (p. 22).   Kaminkow (p. 705).     Parks (No. 8556).     Rinderknecht & Bruntjen (No. 42-112)
Abstract: “I propose to exhibit only such facts as have direct reference to the event which has summoned together this assembly: I need no apology, therefore, for giving a brief detail of what is, to most of you, familiar history.   ……. But in closing, let me ask, where are those Fathers? Gone_! Where are those who first peopled this fair village? Long gone to dwell with the dead! `Dust mingles with dust – ashes to ashes,’ but their spirits are with God. Where shall we be, when next this anniversary returns? Gone too! even the youngest grown aged and passed away! Long before that time, the voice of the speaker will be hushed in death, and the ear of the hearer lie dull in the dark cold grave! But the place will teem with another population, who will receive from us, not only their existence, but those influences which will mould their character. From us the future generations in Stamford are to receive their civil advantages, their literary institutions, and their religious privileges. Their intellectual and moral character, whatever it becomes, will be the living record of our worth and care, and in them we shall still live, either in infamy or honor. How important, then, that we act well our part, that posterity may bless, and Heaven reward us!”   John Watson Alvord, pp. 5, 39-40.
  34. Ambrose, Susan A. [et al.] Journeys of women in science and engineering : No universal constants. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: Temple University Press; 1997; xxii, 461 pp., illus., ports., index, 26 cm. ISBN: 1-56639-527-5.
Notes: Title page reads: “Susan A. Ambrose / Kristin L. Dunkle / Barbara B. Lazarus / Indira Nair / Deborah A. Harkus / Journeys of Women / in Science / and Engineering / [printers’ ornament] / No Universal / Constants / Foreword by Lilli Hornig / [printers’ mark of Temple University Press] / Temple University Press / Philadelphia”
For the interview with Esther A. H. Hopkins, who was born and grew up in Stamford, Connecticut, see: pp. 213-216. 
Location: CtDabN, CtFaU, CtGre, CtHT, CtSU, CtU, CtWillE, CtY, DLC, MB, MH, NN. 
Includes bibliographical references, pp. 451-456.
For a review of this work, see: Journal of Blacks In Higher Education, Autumn 1997, pp. 136-137.   ISSN: 1077-3711
May 1995 interview with Esther A. H. Hopkins. Born in Stamford, Connecticut she rose from poverty earning a Ph.D. in biophysical chemistry from Yale University and a law degree from Suffolk University. She worked as both a patent attorney and a scientist for Polaroid Corporation. She then became chief fiscal counsel to the Massachusetts State Department of Environmental Protection. At the time of the interview, she was a trustee at Boston University.
  35. American Architect and Building Press, Inc. “House of Mrs. I. F. Wardwell, Stamford, Conn.” American Architect. 1919 Dec 17; Vol. 116 (No. 2295) plates 205-210.
Notes: Published by Architectural and Building Press, Inc., New York, New York.
Location: CtHT, CtNbC, CtNh, CtY, DLC, MB.       Aymar Embury II, Architect. Includes floor plans.
  36. Anburey, Thomas. Travels through the interior parts of America, by Thomas Anburey, lieutenant in the army of General Burgoyne; with a foreword by Major-General William Harding Carter. Boston, (Massachusetts), New York (New York): Houghton Mifflin Company; 1923; 2 vols., front. (fold map), 23 cm. 
Notes: Title page reads: “TRAVELS / THROUGH THE / INTERIOR PARTS / OF / AMERICA / BY / THOMAS ANBUREY / LIEUTENANT IN THE ARMY OF GENERAL BURGOYNE / WITH A FOREWORD BY / MAJOR-GENERAL WILLIAM HARDING CARTER / VOLUME 1 [VOLUME 2] / [printers’ mark of the Riverside Press] / BOSTON AND NEW YORK / HOUGHTON MIFFLIN COMPANY / The Riverside Press Cambridge / 1923”       “Five hundred and seventy-five copies of this edition were printed at The Riverside Press in Cambridge, Massachusetts, U.S.A., in September, 1923, of which five hundred and twenty-five are to be sold.”       “Lieutenant Anburey’s book first appeared in England in 1789. A French translation was published in France in 1790, and republished in 1792 and in 1793 with very definite reference to the disaster incident to paper-money issues. A German translation was published in Berlin in 1792.” William Harding Carter, Major-General United States Army, pp. [v]-vi. 
Location: ArU, CLS, CLU, CoDU, Ct, CtHT, CtRk, CtU, CtY, DeU, DLC, GMW, InMuB, KyU, MA, MB, MBU, MH, MiDW, MiEM, MoSW, MoU, MWelC, MWH, NcU, NGcA, NhD, NHemH, NN, NSchU, OCl, OClW, OOxM, OrCS, OrU, P, PBL, PPi, RPB, RU, ScU, ViU, VtMiM, WaU.
”The second man to speak of our town (Darien, formerly Middlesex Parish) was Thomas Anburey, a Lieutenant in the British forces who had been captured with Burgoyne’s army at Saratoga and interned for most of the war thereafter. He does not mention Middlesex by name, but the incident he describes is clearly the well-known Tory raid on the Congregational meetinghouse.   ……. Thomas Anburey naturally had little sympathy for the American cause, nor did he know of the tragic outcome of the raid; the harsh treatment accorded the prisoners at the Provost in New York, and the subsequent death of six of the men from Middlesex.” Louise H. McLean, “The eighteenth century tourist in Fairfield County,” Darien Historical Society Annual, Vol. 2 (No. 3), March 1967, pp. 8, 10.
Abstract: “LETTER LXXVI, New York, Sept. 25, 1781, My Dear Friend, ……. We passed by a meeting that was situated close to the sea shore, which about three Sundays since was surrounded by a party from Long Island, at the time of divine service, and the most notorious rebels, with the clergyman, were taken prisoners. Upon the alarm the confusion was great, the congregation getting out as fast as they could, each man taking the first horse he met with, rode away full gallop. Some of our party, having mounted other horses, riding after them. An inhabitant, who resides near the meeting, informed us that it was a ludicrous sight; some galloping off with their neighbour’s horses, the owner running after to stop him; others seeking refuge in an adjoining wood; women screaming, shrieking and fainting; and as no mischief arose from it, it must have been truly laughable.” Thomas Anburey, pp. 304-305.
  37. Anderson, Ken. The illustrated history of the Schickel motorcycle 1911-1924 : the first 2-cycle built in America. Olean, New York: Twocycle Press; 2008; 193 pp, illus., ports., paper covers, 22 x 28 cm. ISBN: 9780981704807.
Notes: Title page reads: “The Illustrated History / Of The Schickel Motorcycle / 1911-1924 / The First 2-Cycle Built In America /       / By / Ken Anderson” Reverse of title page states: “Book design and editing by Kim Metzgar”
Location: CtS, CtSHi, DLC.       For additional references to Norbert Schickel and the Schickel Motor Company, of Stamford, Connecticut, see: Schickel Family papers finding aid, #3671. Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections, Cornell University Library.
  38. Anderson, Robert Charles. “Great migration study project.” William and Mary Quarterly . 1993 Jul; Vol. 50 (No. 3) pp. 591-593; ISSN: 0043-5597.
Notes: Published by Omohundro Institute of Early American History and Culture, College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, Virginia. 
Location: Ct, CtDabN, CtHT, CtMW, CtMy, CtNbC, CtNlC, CtU, DLC, MH.
Reference to eight Watertown, Massachusetts families migrating to Stamford, Connecticut in 1645. This information came to the attention of the author who is director of the Great Migration Study Project of the New England Historic Genealogical Society of Boston.   See, p. 593
  39. Angstadt, Suzanne F.; Cook, Elizabeth H., and Gammill, Mary W. “Preliminary archaeological survey of the Tokeneke area of Darien, Connecticut.” Bulletin of the Archaeological Society of Connecticut. 1980; (No. 42) pp. 34-41; ISSN: 0739-5612.
Notes: Published by Archaeological Society of Connecticut, c/o American Indian Archaeological Institute, Washington, Connecticut.
Location: Ct, CtB, CtDabN, CtH, CtHi, CtHT, CtMW, CtNbC, CtNhH, CtNlC, CtS, CtStr, CtU, CtW, CtY, DLC, DeU, INS, MBU, MH, NjR.       Parks (No. 3114).
Abstract: “CONCLUSIONS. 
From the chronological study of the artifacts in the Lynch and Tharp collections based on cross-dating the specimens with those reported in artifact typologies and descriptions for the Northeast, we conclude that the Tokeneke section of Darien was inhabited by several cultural groups from the Early Archaic through Late Woodland periods. The area offered various means of subsistence: (1) shell-fishing, as revealed by the presence of shells discovered through plowing at several of the sites, (2) fishing, as supported by the report of a fish weir (as yet unverified archaeologically), (3) hunting, as indicated by the predominance of projectile points in the collections, and (4) plant gathering and/or farming, as supported by the reference to corn in the Piamikin deed and the discovery of three potential pestles. With the exception of those based on historic documentation or artifact analysis, the inferences drawn in this survey remain tentative because of the lack of confirming archaeological evidence. 

Today, the Tokeneke area of Darien is a residential area. Although the possibility of finding an undisturbed site for future investigation is slight, further examination of the area is highly recommended.”   Suzanne F. Angstadt, Elizabeth H. Cook, Mary W. Gammill, p. 41. (Copyright 1980 by the Archaeological Society of Connecticut. Reproduced with permission).
  40. Architectural Book Publishing Company. “Home of Mr. Edward C. Hoyt, near Stamford, Conn. : Newman & Harris, Architects : Illustrations from photographs by Wurts Bros.” Samuel Howe, ed. American Country Houses of to-Day : an Illustrated Account of Some Excellent Houses Built and Gardens Planted During the Last Few Years Showing Unmistakable Influence of the Modern Trend in Ideals Architectural. 1915; pp. 112-117.
Notes: Published by the Architectural Book Publishing Company, Paul Wenzel and Maurice Krakow, New York, New York.   This house was located on Blatchley Road, Stamford, Connecticut. Eventually the Daycroft School acquired it, who many years latter sold the property to Clairol. 
Location: AzU, CoD, CoU, Ct, CtS, DLC, MB, MH, MiU, NcD, NcRS, NIC, NN, OCl, OClMA, OClW, OO, OU. 
Abstract: “It is when we see houses like the one recently built by Mr. Edward C. Hoyt that we feel encouraged for the future of American homes. It is distinctly the proper and obvious solution of the problem from a broad and wholesome standpoint. It is designed after a fashion which is international, in that it is broad and vigorous and world-wide in idea, and while old in method of building, and of well tried and dependable workmanship, it is new also in its skilful use of cement, of hollow tile and other up-to-date materials. It is well planned, well roofed, well and creditably detailed. It has less frivolous ornament than any house of its size that has been built hereabouts for many a year. What ornament it has is in the right place and is the natural and logical outcome of a well determined and decorative scheme, so that in many ways it has beauty of a reasonable type. The property is located at Noroton Hill, near Stamford, Conn. It is set so far back from the main road, the Boston turnpike, as to be somewhat out of sight. The view from the long westerly terrace opens up panoramically in the direction of Long Island Sound. It is a splendid picture. There is something particularly interesting in this Tudor manor of England standing here high up on the shore of an American sound, in full enjoyment of passing ships of every description, a picture instructive in many ways, stimulating, inspiring, challenging.”       American country houses of to-day : … / 1915, p. 113.
  41. — “House of Mrs. I. F. Wardwell, Stamford, Conn. : Aymar Embury II, Architect, New York.” Bernard Wells Close, ed. American Country Houses of Today : Small Houses, Bungalows, Etc. 1922; p. 42 .
Notes: Published by Architectural Book Publishing Company, Paul Wenzel and Maurice Krakow, New York, New York.   Includes floor plans.
Location: AzU, CoD, CoU, Ct, DLC, MB, MH, MiU, NcD, NcRS, NIC, NN, OCl, OClMA, OClW, OO, OU.
  42. Architectural Book Publishing Company, Inc. “Gate Lodge, estate of Howard J. Sachs, Stamford, Conn. : Holden, McLaughlin & Associates, Architects : Charles Over Cornelius, Associate Architect.”
”House of Howard J. Sachs, Stamford, Conn. : Holden, McLaughlin & Associates, Architects : Charles Over Cornelius, Associate Architect.”
”House of Herbert Bertrand, Stamford, Conn. : Frank H. Hutton, Architect.” Lewis Augustus Coffin, ed. American Country Houses of Today … Including a Section on The Better Homes in America : Small House Competitions. 1935; pp. 14, 15, 29.
Notes: Published by Architectural Book Publishing Company, Inc., New York, New York.       Includes floor plans.
Location: AzU, CoD, CoU, Ct, DLC, MB, MH, MiU, NcD, NcRS, NIC, NN, OCl, OClMA, OClW, OO, OU.
  43. — “House of A. D. Halliwell, Hycliff, Stamford, Conn. : George Fulton, Jr., Architect.” Randolph Williams Sexton, comp. American Country Houses of Today. 1930; pp. 104, 105.
Notes: Published by Architectural Book Publishing Company, Inc., New York , New York.       Includes floor plans.
Location: AzU, CoD, CoU, Ct, DLC, MB, MH, MiU, NcD, NcRS, NIC, NN, OCl, OClMA, OClW, OO, OU.
  44. Architectural & Building Press. “Detail of principal entrance, Fidelity Title & Trust Co., Stamford, Conn.”. American Architect. 1925 May 20; Vol. 127 (No. 2472).
Notes: Published by Architectural & Building Press, New York, New York.   Plate No. 131.       H. Leslie Walker, Architect.
Location: C, CL, DeWI, DLC, IU, KMK, MiD, MiU, MnU, NBuG, NPV, OOxM, PPi, UU.
  45. Architectural Record Company. “Residence of George Hill, Esq., Stamford, Conn. : Paul R. Allen, Architect.”. Architectural Record. 1918 Jun; Vol. 43 (No. 6) pp. 568-573; ISSN: 0003-858X.
Notes: Published by The Architectural Record Company, New York, New York. Includes floor plans.
This residence is located at 125 Revonah Avenue, Stamford, Connecticut. 
Location: AAP, C, CL, CLSU, CoCC, CoD, CoU, CSf, CSmH, CtB, CtH, CtHC, CtHT, CtNb, CtNh, CtNlC, CtSHi, CtU, CtW, CtY, CU, DCU, DLC, DeWI, FTS, GA, GAT, GU, I, IaAS, IaU, IC, ICN, IEN, InI, InU, IU, KU, LU, MA, MB, MBAt, MCM, MH, MNF, MNS, MdBE, MdBG, MdBP, MeB, MeBa, Mi, MiD, MiDU, MiGr, MiU, MnCS, MnM, MnS, MsSJ, MnU, MoK, MoS, MoSW, MoU, MtBC, NbU, NBuG, NcD, NcRS, NcU, NHC, NhD, NhU, NIC, NjP, NN, NNC, NNMM, NRU, NvU, OC, OCI, OCIMA, OCIW, ODa, OkS, OOxM, OT, OU, PP, PSt, PU, RP, ScU.
  46. Armstrong, William Jackson. An artist historian; an essay. Columbus, Ohio: S. F. Harriman; 1899; 58 pp., ports., 17 cm. 
Notes: Title page reads: “An Artist Historian / – / An Essay / BY / WILLIAM JACKSON ARMSTRONG / WITH AN INTRODUCTION BY / CHARLES B. GALBREATH / State Librarian of Ohio / President, National Association of State Librarians /   / – / COLUMBUS, OHIO / S. F. HARRIMAN / 1899″
Location: CtSHi, DLC, OClW, OU.
For additional information on John Lord, see: Dictionary of American Biography, Vol. 6, pp. 408-409.
Abstract: “It is not yet five years since the death of Doctor John Lord, a man peculiar in physical attributes, insignificant in person, awkward in bearing, and a stammerer in speech, yet informed with an intelligence and aspiration so lofty that he died leaving behind him accomplishment equaled by that of but few Americans.

For the last forty years of his life Dr. Lord made his home at the village of Stamford, Connecticut, from which point he passed out on his unceasing lecture tours, addressing tens of thousands of his countrymen, making his figure and his literary work familiar throughout the length and breadth of the land. He was nearly equally well known in England. Attention to his work, temporarily diverted for a brief interval succeeding his death, through the absence of his unique personality, is beginning to be recalled in full measure by the solidity and worth as well as by the brilliancy of his literary remains. His works, published in completed form and showing the man in his real intellectual proportions, are now being sought for by thousands of readers on both sides of the Atlantic. The fact is gratifying to the lovers of elevating literature everywhere.
……………………………………………………………………………
It was not until the closing years of his life, which ended in December 1894, that Doctor Lord desisted from this half a century strain of platform oratory and retired to his always delightful Stamford home, to embody in permanent and finished literary form the results of his life work.” William Jackson Armstrong, pp. 7-8, 21.
  47. Atlantic Realty Company. Shippan Point on the Sound. Stamford, Connecticut: Atlantic Realty Company; (1914?); (32) pp., illus. color & b/w., paper covers, 16 x 23 cm. 
Notes: Title page reads: “SHIPPAN POINT / ON THE SOUND / [illustration of a man and a woman running into the water wearing bathing suits]”       Title on cover reads: “SHIPPAN POINT / AT STAMFORD, CONN.” [illustration of two women looking down upon a landscaped walkway, which descends to Stamford Harbor and/or Long Island Sound]”       Imprint on reverse of title reads: “The Photographs from which this booklet / is illustrated were taken by Brown & Dawson, / season of 1913. / THE GILLESPIE BROS. INC., / Engravers and Printers, / Stamford, Conn.”       Realtor’s brochure.
Location: CtS, CtSHi.         
Abstract: “Shippan Point, Stamford, Connecticut, is the most attractive and most conveniently accessible select place upon the shores of Long Island Sound. Formerly, most of the land on the Point was in possession of a few families. It comprised fine old estates. Its more recent development has been remarkable, not alone because of its rapid progress, but because of the abundant evidences of refined taste shown while making the most of the opportunities afforded by its natural charming environment. 

The changes wrought during the last decade cannot be better illustrated than by the pictures which appear in this booklet. Wide avenues are shaded by rows of graceful trees. The well-kept grounds, gardens and lawns, and the sightly houses, in whose designing the skill of America’s most noted architects has been employed, speak eloquently for themselves of the recognition given to Shippan Point as an ideal place for residential purposes.”   Atlantic Realty Company, p. (3).

© 2012 Stamford Historical Society, Inc.


Bibliography, Table of Contents and Instructions

Comments are closed