Stamford, Connecticut – A Bibliography – N

Bibliography Items:
A | B | C | D | E | F | G | HI | J | K | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

Index: 0-9 | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | HI | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | XYZ
Refers to the index of names and subjects covered by individual bibliography items.

Abbreviations
Locations

  1. Nagurney, Michael J. “Teaching of Ukrainian in the United States.” American Slavic And East European Review. 1945 Dec; Vol. 4 (Parts 3-4): pp. 186-194; ISSN: 1049-7544.
Notes: Published by The George Banta Publishing Company, Menasha, Wisconsin.   
Location: CtNbC, CtNlC, CtU, CtW, CtY, DLC, MH.       Sokolyszyn & Wertsman (D-91).
Abstract: “The need for teaching Ukrainian first became obvious in the decade before the turn of the century. Ukrainians began arriving in the United States shortly before the Civil War, but there were no permanent attempts at organization for several decades. They arrived under certain disadvantages of which the greatest was language. There were other evident disadvantages which impressed themselves upon the social and religious welfare of these people, primary among which was the fact that their written language has an alphabet unlike the English and that their religion was quite different from anything anyone in America had any acquaintance with before their arrival. The majority of the Ukrainian immigration were Catholics of the Byzantine Rite which is quite unlike the Latin Rite which was common here. One of the essential differences between the Catholics who arrived in America earlier and the Ukrainian Catholics was and still is the fact that the Ukrainians use their own language and the Old Slavonic in celebration of the Mass and other services.     …..     The guiding spirit of Ukrainian pedagogy in the United States today is the bishop of the Ukrainian Catholic Diocese. (footnote: Most Rev. Constantine Bohachevsky, D.D.) Soon after his arrival, in 1924, he began a program for replacement of the old-fashioned by modern-type schools. He lamented the disadvantages of the children and pleaded improvement of conditions throughout the country which is the extent of his Diocese. In response to his appeal the modern-type school is replacing the ancient type. He has also founded most of the higher educational institutions. The first of the four high schools to be established was a school for girls opened in 1930 (footnote 2: St. Basil’s Academy, Philadelphia, conducted by the Sisters of St. Basil the Great.). In 1933 a high school for boys was founded by the Most Reverend Bishop (footnote 3: St. Basil’s Preparatory School, Stamford, Connecticut, staffed by priests and laymen.). A college was chartered and empowered to grant degrees in 1939 (footnote 4: St. Basil’s College, Stamford, Connecticut, staffed by priests and laymen.).   …..   … and a third high school for girls opened its portals in September of the present year (footnote 7: Academy of the Mother of God, Stamford, Connecticut, conducted by the Congregation of the Mother of God and staffed by priests and laymen.). The college possesses the largest collection of Ukrainian literature in the United States in addition to its ordinary library required for student research. The museum contains numerous exhibits, the greater majority of which were collected in Ukraine before the war (footnote 8: Ukrainian Museum and Library, Stamford, Connecticut.).     …..     From this meager list the reader will discern that success in teaching Ukrainian depends, at least for the present, not upon extensive aids and materials but rather upon the ingenuity of the teachers and willingness of pupils. In view of the difficulties involved, particularly during the early days of immigration, it is admirable that a people was so thoroughly imbued with the idea of preserving their cultural heritage, that they seem to have transplanted it from their home in Ukraine to the overseas home of their choice (footnote 14: The reader of Ukrainian who is interested in studying historical accounts of the teaching of Ukrainian may refer to the anniversary publications of the Ukrainian Catholic Seminary and its various units at Stamford, Connecticut, in which numerous accounts are given and which contain detailed accounts of the reviews herein presented. Other publications of value in this connection can be found on the shelves of St. Basil’s College Library at Stamford. Materials in the English language on this topic are non-existent.” Michael J. Nagurney, pp. 187-188, 192-194.   (American Slavic and East European Review. December 1945. Copyright 1945 by the American Association for the Advancement of Slavic Studies, Stanford, California. Reproduced with permission.)
  2. Nash, Paul. “Sewerage system of the City of Stamford.” Connecticut Society of Civil Engineers, Incorporated – Papers and Transactions for 1921-1922 and Proceedings of the Thirty-Seventh and Thirty-Eighth Annual Meetings at New Haven, February 15 and 16, 1921 and New Haven, February 21 and 22, 1922. 1922; pp. 111-123.
Notes: Published by The Connecticut Society of Civil Engineers, Inc., New Haven, (Connecticut), Tuttle, Morehouse & Taylor Company.
Location: Ct, CtNlC, CtU, DLC, DNLM, ICJ, ICRL, InLP, MB, PP, PU, TxU.
Although this paper deals primarily with the development of Stamford’s then current sewerage modus operandi, the author begins with a historical outline of the original system. He explains how George E. Waring, Jr., the renowned sanitary engineer was retained to plan and construct it and his advocacy of a dual system; rainwater in storm drains separate from the sewers.
  3. National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials. “Satisfied customer: reluctant Stamford authority buys high-rise idea – and likes it fine.” Journal of Housing. 1956 Feb; Vol. 13 (No. 2) pp. 54-55; ISSN: 0272-7374.
Notes: Published by the National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials, Chicago, Illinois.   Includes floor plans. 
Location: CtMW, CtY, CU-S, DLC, InU, MB, MH, NjR, P.
An assessment of Stamford’s recently erected Southfield Village North by the magazine Progressive Architecture and why the city’s housing authority accepted this type of construction.
  4. — “Stamford council gets results for work at Southfield Village.” Journal of Housing. 1956 Jan; Vol. 13 (No. 1) p. 24; ISSN: 0272-7374.
Notes: Published by the National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials, Chicago, Illinois.
Location: CtMW, CtY, CU-S, DLC, InU, NjR, P, MB, MH. 
Description of some self-esteem actions that were initiated in 1954 by residents of Southfield Village.
  5. Nelson, George. Tomorrow’s house; a complete guide for the home-builder. Wright, Henry. New York, New York: Simon and Schuster; 1946; c1945, 214 pp. including illus., plates (part double), 29 cm. 
Notes: Title page reads: “GEORGE NELSON. CONSULTANT EDITOR ARCHITECTURAL FORUM / HENRY WRIGHT. MANAGING EDITOR ARCHITECTURAL FORUM / TOMORROW’S / HOUSE / A COMPLETE GUIDE / FOR THE HOME-BUILDER /       / SIMON AND SCHUSTER. NEW YORK 1946 [printers’ mark of Simon and Schuster].”       Third printing.
For illustrations of a house at 147 High Line Trail, Stamford, Connecticut, see: Chapter 3, views 8 and 9.
For additional information on this house, see: Architectural Forum, July 1944, Vol. 81 (No. 1), pp. 103-107. 
Location: CLobS, CLU, CoFS, CoU, CSt, CU, CU-S, DeU, FTaSU, FTS, GU, HU, IEN, INS, InU, IU, KyU, LNT, MB, MdBG, MH, MiDU, MiU, MU, MWalB, N, NjP, NmU, NNR, NRWW, NSyU, NTR, OCl, ODW, OkS, OOxM, OrU, PChW, PMilS, PPiC, TxArU, TxDaM.
  6. Neutra, Richard (Richard Joseph). Building with nature. New York, New York: Universe Books; (1971); 223 pp., illus., plans, 31 cm. ISBN: 0876631332.
Notes: Title page reads: “RICHARD NEUTRA / BUILDING WITH NATURE / [printers’ mark of Universe Books] / UNIVERSE BOOKS / NEW YORK”
Translation of Naturnahes bauen.
For references to Glen House, located at 130 Brookhollow Lane, Stamford, Connecticut, see: pp. 144-147. Includes floor plans. 
Location: CtBhl, CtFa, CtHT, CtNa, CtNb, CtS, CtU, CtWtp, CtY, DeU, DHU, DLC, DSI, MB, MBU, MH, MU, MWalB, NBP, NFQC, NhD, NHemH, NjP, NjR, NN, NNC, NNJJ, NNL, NNR, NTR, OKentU, PBL, PBm, PMA, PMilS, PPi, PPiU, PPT, PSt, PU, RPB, RU.
Abstract: “GLEN HOUSE, STAMFORD, CONNECTICUT

This house lies in a beautiful, somewhat thinned-out forest. Large boulders and a magnificent vista of wooded hills to the south enrich the site with the visual variety created by seasonal changes.

The family for whom this modest home was designed consisted of three small children and their parents. The father commuted to New York and, since he was often away on business trips, he wanted his living room to accommodate his get-togethers with his family and guests during his precious hours at home. The den was also used as the parents’ sitting area or study, when they wanted to be by themselves. These two rooms, as well as the vestibule and the master bedroom, nestle between two groups of trees and rock, and are expanded southward by a view into a clearing, making the rooms especially enjoyable for their winter sun. The kitchen and the other bedrooms face east to the children’s playground. A maximum of seclusion is provided by the access road from the northwest to the entrance and into the inner corner of the L-shaped house. A carport and a fourth bedroom (also used as a guest room) are on a somewhat lower level at the north end of the house.

The use of cedar, Philippine mahogany, and sensitively harmonizing paints contributes to the desired effect of simple, modest coziness. Openness to the dynamic coloration of the charming surroundings demands and everywhere assures their dominance, but one can hardly reproduce this fully in black-and-white photography.

This house is now the residence of Victor Bisherat.”   Richard Joseph Nutra, pp. 144-145.   (Copyright 1971 by Richard Joseph Nutra. Reproduced with permission.)
  7. Newcome, Richard successively Bishop of Llandaff and of St. Asaph. A sermon [on Romans 9 : 26] preached before the incorporated Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts: at their anniversary meeting in the parish church of St. Mary-le-Bow, on Friday, February 20, 1761. London: Printed by E. Owen and T. Harrison (etc.); 1761; 88 pp, paper covers, 20 cm. 
Notes: Title page reads: “A / SERMON / Preached before the / Incorporated SOCIETY / FOR THE / Propagation of the Gospel in / Foreign Parts: / AT THEIR / ANNIVERSARY MEETING / IN THE / Parish Church of ST. MARY-LE-BOW, / On FRIDAY February 20, 1761. / – / By the Right Reverend Father in GOD, / RICHARD Lord Bishop of LANDAFF. / – / LONDON: / Printed by E. OWEN and T. HARRISON in / Warwick-Lane; and Sold by A. MILLAR / at Buchanan’s Head in the Strand. / – / MDCCLXI [1761].”
Location: CSmH, CtHT, CtSoP, ICN, MH, NBuG, NN, PHi.
Includes “An abstract of the charter and of the Proceedings of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts” (pp. 21-69) has running title: “An abstract of the Proceedings of the Society.”
Abstract: “The Rev. Mr. Dibble, the Society’s Missionary at Stamford, acquaints the Society by his Letter dated September the 29th, 1760, that his People continue in a peaceful united State, in all Parts of his extensive Mission, in which he constantly attends the Duties of his Office, and had preached in the lower District of Salem to a Congregation of between three and four Hundred People, and administered the Holy Communion to 39 Persons; and there is a hopeful Prospect of Religion among that scattered poor People. According to Mr. Dibble’s Notitia Parochialis, he had baptized 21 Infants and one Adult, after proper Instruction, in the preceding half Year, and the Number of his Communicants in Stamford and Greenwich amounts to 155.”   An abstract of the Proceedings of the Society, pp. 43-44.
  8. Newhouse, Victoria. Wallace K. Harrison, architect. New York, New York: Rizzoli International Publications, Inc.; 1989; 332 pp., illus., bibliographical references, plans, illus. lining papers, index, 29 cm. ISBN: 0-8478-0644-8.
Notes: Title page reads: “Wallace K. Harrison, Architect / Victoria Newhouse /       / RIZZOLI / NEW YORK”
For references to the First Presbyterian Church, Stamford, Connecticut, see: pp. 166-173.
Location: CtFa, CtHT, CtMW, CtNc, CtNh, CtNhH, CtNlC, CtWilt, CtY, DLC, MH.
The author compares Wallace K. Harrison’s First Presbyterian Church to other noteworthy contemporary houses of devotion that were erected in the 1950’s.
  9. Newlands, James A. (James Andrew). “Automatic liquid-chlorine water disinfecting plant.” Engineering News. 1915 Jun 17; Vol. 73 (No. 24) pp. 1158-1159; ISSN: 0096-3690.
Notes: Published by Hill Publishing Company, New York, New York.   “A journal of civil engineering and construction.” (subtitle varies). 
Issued also as a reprint, “Technical publication; no. 3, 11pp, incl. diagr., tables, illus.,” copy in The New York Public Library.     
Location: CtB, CtH, CtHT, CtNh, CtSHi, CtU, CtY, DeU, DLC, DSI, In, MB, MH, NcRS, NjR, NN, OrU, OU, ViBibV.     
Abstract: “There has been developed at Stamford, Conn., during the past two years an automatic control for liquid-chlorine disinfection of the water-supply which, so far as the writer is aware, is the first practical installation for automatically regulating the flow of chlorine gas according to the flow of water from a gravity supply.

From the standpoint of bacterial efficiency the treatment of the Stamford water with liquid chlorine has been entirely satisfactory, colon bacilli being almost invariably absent in 10-cc. volumes of the treated water during the periods when it is found in the raw water. It is from the standpoint of mechanical efficiency, however, that the plant is of greatest interest, and the writer is indebted to Edward L. Hatch, General Manager of the Stamford Water Co., whose interest and personal efforts have made possible the accumulation of a considerable amount of valuable data on the mechanical operation of the plant, and on which these notes are based.” James Andrew Newlands, pp. 1158-1159.
  10. Newman, Henry Stanley. Memories of Stanley Pumphrey. New York, (New York): Friend’s Book and Tract Committee; 1883; iv, 292 pp., port., 19 cm. 
Notes: Title page reads: ” MEMORIES / OF / STANLEY PUMPHREY /     / BY / HENRY STANLEY NEWMAN / OF ENGLAND /     / SECOND EDITION / NEW YORK / FRIENDS’ BOOK AND TRACT COMMITTEE / 56 LAFAYETTE PLACE / 1885 ”     Imprint on reverse of title page reads “COPYRIGHT 1883 BY / DAVID S. TABER “
Location: CtY, DLC, MH-AH, MWA, NcD, PHC, PSC, TxU. 
First published, 1882, under title: The young man of God. Memories of Stanley Pumphrey.
Abstract: “Not long after his first visit to [John Greenleaf] Whittier, Stanley Pumphrey had the privilege of an interview with another illustrious New England poet – Henry W. Longfellow, of which he gives the following account in his diary: -

’Eighth Month, 15th, 1876. – Yesterday I had the great pleasure of my promised visit to Longfellow.   My kind friend, Augustine Jones, went with me, and we reached the poet’s house about half-past ten.

He had gone into Boston, but was likely to return at noon.   We spent the interval in a visit to the Agassiz Museum.   …………..

When Whittier’s note of introduction had been presented, he came out and gave us a warm and kindly greeting. He is an old man of about seventy, but sprightly, looking very like the portraits we have lately seen, long white hair, beard and moustache, a pair of very bright eyes, and a pleasing face. He is a complete gentleman, and at once set us at our ease. He made kind enquiries for Whittier, for whom he has a warm regard. ‘We are almost ready to wish your friend Whittier a few vices; perhaps then he would come amongst us a little more. I’ve tried hard to get him here, and never succeeded but once. I think he is a true poet, and a very lovely one. His writings are a great enjoyment to me. I was reading some of them yesterday – ‘Abraham Davenport’ and ‘Amy Wentworth.’

Then he opened the book and read a few stanzas from the latter that had specially pleased him. I said, ‘Abraham Davenport’ is one of my greatest favourites; it has the right ring. ‘Yes,’ he said, ‘the right ring. A man who is doing his duty should never be afraid to meet his Maker:’ and he quoted laughingly, ‘Bring in the candles.’ ”       Stanley Pumphrey, pp. 187-188.

For additional information on Whittier’s poem “Abraham Davenport,” see: John Greenleaf Whittier The tent on the beach, and other poems. (1867). For Abraham Davenport and the “Dark Day,” see: J. Robert Bromley, Abraham Davenport, 1715 to 1789 : a study of the man. (1976).
  11. Noll, Mark A. “Moses Mather (Old Calvinist) and the Evolution of Edwardseanism.” Church History. 1980 Sep; Vol. 49 (No. 3) pp. 273-285; ISSN: 0009-6407.
Notes: Published by the American Society of Church History, Chicago, Illinois.
Location: CtBSH, CtDabN, CtFaU, CtHC, CtHT, CtMW, CtNbC, CtNlC, CtU, CtWillE, CtY, DLC, MH-AH.       Parks (No. 3158).
An analysis of Yale College President Timothy Dwight’s comments, regarding the life and career of Rev. Moses Mather, written during autumn of 1811. Mather was pastor of the Middlesex Congregational Church, in what is now Darien, Connecticut.
  12. Nova, Susan. “Charting Shippan’s history.” Living In Stamford. 2000 Apr-May; Vol. 2 (No. 2) pp. 18-25, 27-29; ISSN: 1524-6183.
Notes: Published by Living In Stamford, Stamford, Connecticut.
Location: CtSHi.
Abstract: “‘Shippan became a very fashionable summer place, and when the railroad came in, it attracted year-round commuters,’ says [Estelle F.] Feinstein, the Stamford historian. ‘Shippan has always drawn people of means, people with interesting .’

Shippan now has 1,100 homes, including 700 houses, according to entrepreneur Stephen Maloney, chairman of the Shippan Point Association.

Virtually a textbook of architecture, houses range from sprawling waterside estates worth millions to homes of more modest mien, in every style imaginable from vintage Victorian to Colonial in all its many guises. 
…………………………………………………………………………..
The Shippan community spirit lives on, and since 1997, ‘Celebrate Shippan,’ an outdoor picnic for residents, has taken place each summer. To this day, many Shippan residents end up spending their entire lives on the Point, switching addresses when their life circumstances change without switching neighborhoods in a real-estate form of musical chairs.

’It’s the Shippan shuffle,’ says Chuck Jepsen. ‘People rarely leave Shippan. They just go around and around.”   Susan Nova, pp. 28, 29.   (Copyright 2000 by Living In Stamford. Reproduced with permission.)
  13. — “For one North Stamford couple the quest for the perfect home ended at the gates of a castle.” Living In Stamford. 1999 Winter; Vol. 1 (No. 3) pp. 73-76; ISSN: 1524-6183.
Notes: Published by Living In Stamford, Stamford, Connecticut. 
Location: CtSHi.
Abstract: “New York-based architect Gustave E. Steinback designed Chateau Rochamore, a New World stone castle on Hunting Ridge Road, at the turn of the 20th century as a weekend and summertime country retreat for his family. Born in New York City in 1879, he was a 1900 graduate of Columbia University and a noted designer of churches and cathedrals. Locally Steinback designed St. Cecilia’s church and school on Newfield Avenue in Stamford and St. Catherine’s in the Riverside section of Greenwich.
…………………………………………………………………………..
When Steinback chose the site for his own residence here, he purchased an expansive 79 acres in North Stamford that, like so many estates here, has been subdivided and redivided. Today, the hillside chateau retains about 3.25 acres, still ample space for gardens, a decorative fish pond bedecked with seasonal water lilies and a swimming pool. The bright turquoise pool waters replaced an old farmhouse that was moved to a nearby property when the Steinbacks arrived. 
…………………………………………………………………………..
The chateau was completed around 1906 after three years of construction, and sometime in the 1930s, the Steinbacks chose to live there year-round. They stayed for more than half a century and in 1960 sold the property to Colonel J. B. Williams, a decorated WWII hero whose heirs, in turn, sold it to the Philipsons [Ulrik and Constance Philipson].

’Steinback named the chateau ‘Rochamore,’ which means ‘love stone,’ to honor his wife and because it was built on a large rock,’ says [Constance] Philipson.”   Susan Nova, pp. 73, 74.   (Copyright 1999 by Living In Stamford. Reproduced with permission.)
  14. — “House proud: Major renovations on a grand scale can transform mere residences into dream homes.” Living In Stamford. 1999 Autumn; Vol. 1 (No. 2) pp. 25, 27-29, 31, 33-36. ISSN: 1524-6183.
Notes: Published by Living In Stamford, Stamford, Connecticut.       Includes floor plans.
Location: CtSHi.
Abstract: “The 1990’s trend toward ever larger and more luxurious homes in a variety of architectural idioms has led to the updating and enlargement of houses, especially on spectacular properties, even to teardowns, when the land justifies the investment. Whether of heraldic magnitude or modest size, these homes become lush with sybaritic features, from deluxe master baths to newly essential state-of-the-art gadgets. Each a private universe, they have every contemporary convenience and a host of traditional trappings.

Renovations can be as modest as redoing the tile in a bathroom in a week, as moderate as rehabilitating a kitchen over several months, or as extensive as gutting a home down to the studs and reconstructing it over a period of years. In the late 1990’s, up-to-the-moment kitchens, sometimes incorporated into a great room and functioning as a gathering place for family and friends, have become increasingly essential to homeowners. Elegant and expensive marble, granite and limestone swath counters, cabinets are built of cherry or other exotic woods, and the appliances installed are often of the costly commercial variety. The bathroom sinks, often in pedestal form, may have faucets of gold or precious stones, while showers offer steam, seats and garden views.

Complete renovations, when virtually a new house is constructed within the original footprint, or with additions, may take years and cost more than building up from ground zero. Recent national studies indicate that recouping minor renovation costs can range from a low of 71 percent to 102 percent.

The three Stamford homes in this article have undergone complete overhauls (in one case the home tripled in size!). One took a year and a half, while another was done in stages over a quarter-century. What follows are the fruits of their owners’ time, expense and labor.”   Susan Nova, p. 25.   (Copyright 1999 by Living In Stamford. Reproduced with permission.)
  15. — “Turf: With an eye toward conserving history, a North Stamford couple looks forward to selling the farm.” Living In Stamford. 1999 Summer; Vol. 1 (No. 1) pp. 59-61; ISSN: 1524-6183.
Notes: Published by Living In Stamford, Stamford, Connecticut.
Location: CtSHi.
Abstract: “The dark green shingles and spanking white trim on the house and barns echo the verdant fields and white fences edging five paddocks where sable-brown horses peer at visitors. The bucolic setting is typical of equestrian facilities in such rural areas as Vermont or Virginia. But, tucked into a residential North Stamford neighborhood, Windswept Farm is a somewhat startling sight. 

Each afternoon the riding academy’s young students can be seen arriving in sport utility vehicles of varying brands for their lessons, the older students helping the tiny ones mount their many-hands-high horses.

Windswept Farm on June Road has been a working farm for 70 years, according to the present owners, Mona and Bill Raymond. The business and property were listed for sale for $2,995,000 last winter with June Rosenthal, owner of Juner Properties in Stamford. The Raymonds hope to find a buyer who will maintain the property’s tradition as a horse farm and stable, allowing it to remain a uniquely rural focal point in the neighborhood. 

The farm consists of more than three acres. An additional two acres, owned by the Overbrook foundation, comes with a lease in perpetuity. There are two riding rings, two tack rooms and 21 horse stalls. The property, near the Greenwich border, has direct access to the 125-mile Greenwich trail system, allowing equestrians to set out from the farm’s stables on three-hour trail rides. Approval for a covered riding ring has been obtained.” Susan Nova, p. 59.   (Copyright 1999 by Living In Stamford. Reproduced with permission.)

© 2012 Stamford Historical Society, Inc.


Bibliography, Table of Contents and Instructions

Comments are closed